Saturday, April 21, 2007

"Ruffled Raven"



When in Joshua Tree I got to study one of my favorite subjects, ravens. They are wickedly smart and wonderfully playful, and joyously acrobatic daredevils. At the top of Keys View there was one raven that was playing in the strong currents of wind, and watching visitors for possible snack leavings. I think he was mostly there to play though. I was able to get fairly close to him, but not as close as I would have liked. He posed for a long time on a small rock at the cliffs edge, the wind blowing through the ruff of feathers around his neck. This is a 6"x6" inch oil on canvas.

1 comment:

Beth Surdut said...

Cruising the web for Raven legends for a new series I'm working on, I came across your lovely piece. I'm currently visiting LA, overwhelmed by pavement, so it is good to visit your expressive love of our animal kin.
www.BethSurdut.com