Saturday, March 12, 2011

And When Almost Everything Is Gone?


I lost a whole week. I don't know exactly where it went. All of last week is a frustrating blur. Except Friday, that was hellish enough it made a lasting impression. Small hell internally in my body's anxious efforts to cope with stress chemicals in lots of little surges resulting from my job, but nothing like the big HELL I saw later unfolding online in videos coming in from all over Japan showing the earthquake as it happened, and more just heartbreaking video of the tsunami's destruction. To see how the people in the hard hit northern towns had their entire world overpowered and overrun by earthquake and then an icy cold and relentless tsunami to the point where little is left that is recognizable makes me feel ill. That's not bad enough, they have to have imminent reactor failure to contend with. The west coast of the US and Canada will get to share some of their misery and fear if it goes, the resulting cloud will visit us on it's way to dispersing around the world. Japan's economy will take a huge hit, which will immediately hit the world's economy, and if we ever thought there was a time when we weren't all one in this world, this should make it clear.

Actually I don't know what I did with the last three months, March is almost halfway over. I have started a nice sized painting but even having an accidentally free week (this last week that just slid out of my grasp) to work on it and doing only a few hours on one day was extremely frustrating. But I can't even imagine how horrified I would be to see my whole tiny row house get washed away, and not just mine but the whole street, no neighborhood, no city of houses and businesses, and to just be supremely grateful if my family and friends and neighbors all made it through. Assuming I even survived. I am chilled to think that not only entire towns but also whole trains are missing and no one knows where they are. And not to lessen the heartache of that thought in any way, but you know what happened to all of the pets. Some of the older people who made it through, that might have been all the comfort they had.

No comments: