Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Gary of Barry



I decided to post some work in process. I always enjoy looking at process shots of other artist's work, it's a revelatory study in how a painting goes together. I mostly paint in layers for bigger works, and have started working alla prima for smaller canvases. This painting is of a friend's old Golden Retriever, at layer one. The strong color notes will be subddued as the layers progress. I'm not real good at remembering to take process photos, but I got a reminder today when I put four more hours into a small oil and the viewer who saw it since this a.m. asked if I'd painted today...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, now I'm a student; I had o idea that paintings with colors like this are WIPs. It would be great to see a series of process shots, because I now zip-all about painting.

TK said...

The clue is that you can see some of the pencil sketch, and that there are some very strong colors compared to the parts that look more finished (because they are). The nose is pretty much done, and the teeth and eyes. I will post some more process shots as I work on it, as it is next in line, and is a good idea. Thanks for reminding me!